Organic Buckwheat Groats
About Organic Buckwheat Groats
Our organic buckwheat groats / hearts (hulled buckwheat) are certified organic, 100% gluten-free, and are Canadian grown! Although often thought of as agrain it's actually a fruit seed, and despite it's name contains no wheat / gluten. It's one of the most popular ingredients used in our custom cereals, since it is loaded with nutrients, is crunchy, and tastes great. It can be cooked or eaten raw and added in to essentially any food to add crunchiness and boost nutritional value.
Buckwheat is an excellent source of complex carbohydrates, fiber, B-complex vitamins, and various minerals.
Here are some of the nutritional highlights of buckwheat hearts:
- Is a complete protein (contains all amino acids)
- High in both soluble and insoluble fiber
- Source of B-complex vitamins
- Excellent gluten-free alternative to wheat grains
- Contain polyphenolic antioxidants that decrease body inflammation
- Contains good amounts many minerals including copper and magnesium
Potential Health Benefits
Buckwheat is packed with nutrition, and may offer the following health benefits based on scientific studies:
- May promotes cardiovascular health (fiber, magnesium, flavanoid rutin, lignans)
- May lower risk of diabetes and aid in blood sugar control (fiber, magnesium)
- May help prevent gallstones (insoluble fiber)
- May decrease risk of colon cancer (fiber, phenolics)
- It is wheat-free, despite it's name
- Although often classified as a grain, it is actually a fruit seed
- It can be eaten raw, or cooked
- Buckwheat flowers are very attractive to bees and is a popular variety of honey
- Groats can be ground in to flour that can be used for baking
Storage Tips for Maximum Shelf Life
Store buckwheat in sealed container in a cool dry place for 6-12 months.
How to Enjoy
Buckwheat can be cooked, or eaten raw. We use it as a base in many of our own cereal recipes, and also add it to many of our energy bars to give them some extra crunch and an added boost of fiber / complex carbs.
- Add as a topper to salads
- Mix in to yogurt or cereal
- Add to smoothies for a carb boost
- Add to soups
One of the nice things about buckwheat is that it's very versatile. It has a mild flavour and won't over power foods that it's added to. If you are currently eating grains that contain wheat, consider using buckwheat instead.
Certified Organic Buckwheat Hearts
Country of Origin