Organic Dried Coconut (Unsweetened)
About Organic Dried Coconut (Unsweetened)
Our unsweetened, certified organic dried coconut makes the perfect addition to your cereal, salads, smoothies, and baked goods.
Not only does dried coconut taste great, it's also packed full of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and one of the healthiest sources of fat on the planet!
Coconut is loaded with nutrients, and is an extremely efficient source of energy for the body.
Dried coconut nutritional highlights:
- High in dietary fiber - 61%
- Contains copper, calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc
- Source of folate, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin and pyridoxine
- Excellent source of lauric acid (also found in human breast milk), which plays a positive role in blood lipid profiles
- One of the best sources of medium chain fatty acids, a saturated fat that can be used for energy as soon as it reaches the liver
Adding dried coconut to your diet is a great way to boost your intake of healthy, plant-based saturated fats.
Coconut has been studied extensively, and has been shown to benefit our health in the following ways:
- Strengthens the immune system
- Promotes cardiovascular health
- Increases metabolism and can aid in weight loss
- Improves digestion
- Helps protect against viral, fungal, and bacterial infections
One of the things that makes coconut unique is that its saturated fat content is composted primarily of medium chain fatty acids (MCFA). Unlike long chain fatty acids (LCFA) that are found in about 98% of the saturated fats we consume, MCFA's can be absorbed by the body as soon as hit the liver. Simply put, this means that coconut is an extremely efficient source of energy for the body and is extremely unlikely to be stored as body fat.
Another thing that makes coconut stand out is that it's the most abundant natural source of lauric acid - the exact same fatty acid found in human breast milk! Lauric acid is used by the body to fight viruses, as well as bacterial and fungal infections. Although dried coconut does not contain as much lauric acid as virgin coconut oil, it is still considered an excellent source.
Storage Tips for Maximum Shelf Life
Store in a sealed container in the pantry, or refrigerator for up to 6 months.
How to Enjoy
Here are a few ways to enjoy dried coconut:
- Add them to a smoothie, cereal, yogurt, or pancakes in the morning
- Add to salads
- Include them in your favourite trail mix
- Add to cookies, muffins, and other baked goods