Organic Dark Chia Seeds
About Organic Dark Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are a delicious, healthy addition to any diet. Raw, organic, and GMO-free, these powerful little seeds are a perfect for adding to smoothies, cereals, yogurt, salads, and essentially any baked goods.
Did you know that chia seeds are considered to be the best source of omega-3 fatty acids of any plant food? With their high levels of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and fiber, it's no wonder they have been given "superfood" status.
There is no question that there is plenty of nutritional value packed in to these tiny little seeds. Here are some of their nutritional highlights:
- Contain 5 grams of fiber per tablespoon
- One of the most potent plant based sources of omega-3 fatty acids (2500 mg per tablespoon)
- Packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals
- Can be easily digested without grinding
Chia seeds contain the following nutrients (% Daily Value) per tablespoon:
They contain 65 calories, comprised of 7.5 grams of carbohydrates, 2.5 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat, and 2 grams of fiber.
What makes chia seeds stand out more than most other nuts and seeds, is their high levels of omega-3 fatty acids. At 2500 mg per tablespoon, they are considered the best plant based source of this important nutrient. They also have an excellent 1:3 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (most nuts have much higher levels of omega-6 fatty acids, which is not ideal).
Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to provide many health benefits, including improved brain function, decreased inflammation, improved blood lipid levels, and more. In addition to the health benefits derived from their omega-3 content, studies have show that chia seeds may also play a role in:
- Decreasing symptoms of depression
- Aiding in weight loss by reducing hunger cravings
- Playing a positive role in blood glucose levels
Interesting Facts About Chia Seeds
- Aztec warriors ate chia seeds thousands of years ago, and they were so highly sought after that it they were said to be used as a currency.
- Chia seeds are used to grow the grass on Chia Pets
- Chia comes from the Mayan word for "strength"
- Chia leaves contain high levels of oil, which act as a natural insect repellent. For this reason, pesticides are not required.
Storage Tips for Maximum Shelf Life
Unlike many other nuts and seeds, chia seeds remain fresh for up to 24 months. Store in cupboard or pantry, refrigeration not required.
How to Enjoy
Chia seeds are neutral tasting, so they can be added just about any food. They are also a great eaten raw, and do not need to be soaked or ground in order to aid digestion and nutrient absorption. Here are a few ways to enjoy them:
- Add to cereal, yogurt, and salads
- Chia seeds can be ground in to flour using a food processor or high power blender, and used in any baked goods as a wheat flour substitute.
- Add to smoothies, or fruit / vegetable juices
- Soak chia seeds to make a versatile gel (know as chia fresca in Mexico)
Chia Seed Recipes