Organic Dried Goji / Wolf Berries
About Organic Dried Goji / Wolf Berries
Our certified organic dried himalayan goji berries are a delicious, highly nutritious treat. They make a great portable snack, or can be added to cereals, trail mixes, or your favourite baked goods.
This 'super fruit' is jam packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to help energize and rejuvenate your body. They have been used for medicinal purposes in Tibet and Mongolia for thousands of years.
The goji berry is most nutritionally dense fruit in the world, and there is no wonder why this little fruit is considered a 'super food'! Goji berry
- Contains the second highest levels of protein of any fruit (second only to golden berries)
- Are the only fruit that contains all essential amino acids - a complete protein
- Rich source of iron (15 time higher than the levels in spinach!)
- High in vitamin A, as well as the minerals calcium, zinc and selenium
- A potent source of vitamin C - gram for gram, over 500 times more than that of an orange!
- High vitamin E, a rare trait in fruits
- Contains physalein, a know cancer fighter
- Contains 27 trace minerals
- Contains cyperone - beneficial to the cardiovascular system
In addition, goji berries are an extremely potent source of antioxidants, and are a proven anti-inflammatory. They are rated #27 on the ORAC value chart, which measures the antioxidant capacity of foods.
They also contain beta-sitosterol and kukoamine, two phytochemicals show to play a role in lowering blood cholesterol levels.
Despite the popularity of goji berries, there have been few clinical studies documenting potential health benefits. Here are some of the potential health benefits based on the nutrients contained in goji berries:
- Contains polysaccharides, which have been show to strengthen the immune system
- Contains beta-sitosterol, an anti-inflammatory agent that has show to lower cholesterol in have a positive impact on cardiovascular health
- Contains solavetivone, which may help discourage the growth of bad fungi and bacteria
Organic vs. Conventional
There are over 40 different types of goji berries grown throughout the world. It's best to stay away form conventionally grown goji berries, as high levels of pesticides are used in their cultivation. We only sell Himalayan goji berries, which are grown in clean, pesticide-free conditions.
Storage Tips for Maximum Shelf Life
Store in a sealed container in a dry, dark place. Refrigeration will help maintain their freshness longer.
How to Enjoy
Fresh dried goji berries should be soft and chewy in texture, and are the perfect snack on their own. They can be eaten in their dry form, or rehydrated by letting them sit in boiling water for a short period of time. Goji berry juice is also available, however, it has no where near the benefits of the fruit in it's whole food form.
Here are more ways to enjoy them:
- Add them to a smoothie, cereal, or yogurt in the morning
- Make a delicious goji juice by soaking them for 2-3 hours
- Add to salads or soups
- Include them in your favourite trail mix
- Add to cookies, muffins, and other baked goods