Just certified organic, fair-trade, sun-dried golden berries (AKA Incan berries) with no preservatives added!
Now It's your turn to enjoy the sweet and tangy taste of this highly nutritious superfruit that's been consumed in South America for it's health benefits for centuries.
Golden berries are packed full of bioflavonoids (vitamin P), and contain a whopping 16% protein (even more than goji berries). They are also high in fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, and other important trace minerals. They are similar in appearance to raisins, but are yellow and larger in size.
They have a very unique flavour that is often described as "tangy-sweet" - probably different than any other berry you have ever tasted. Their chewy texture with the added crunch of the small seeds inside is very satisfying.
Golden berries are an abundant source of many different nutrients. Highlights:
- Loaded with bioflavonoids
- Contain Secretory IgA - an immune boosting plant antibody
- Excellent source of vitamin A
- Good source of vitamin C
- Good source of B-complex vitamins
- Good source of phosphorus and other trace minerals
- Contain pectin
- Very high in fiber
Although a potent source of many different nutrients, it's their high levels of bioflavonoid antioxidants that make them a particularly powerful "superfruit".
Here are some of their potential health benefits:
- Reduce body inflammation (bioflavonoids)
- Strengthen circulatory system (bioflavonoids)
- Enhance body's ability to use vitamin C (bioflavonoids)
- Improve blood lipid profiles (bioflavonoids, pectin)
- Support cellular metabolism (bioflavonoids, B-complex vitamins)
- Support digestive health (fiber, pectin)
Golden berries are an ancient food, grown wildly throughout the Peruvian Andes. Harvesting is a very time consuming task allowing only about 20 pounds of berries to be picked by each worker daily.
More neat stuff:
- Is also know as the Incan berry, Peruvian gooseberry, Aztec berry, Brazil cherry, cape gooseberry and aguaymanto berry.
- They contain 16% protein - the most of any fruit
- To make 3 pounds of sun-dried berries it takes 11 pounds of fresh berries
- Contain more fiber than apricots, dates, blueberries, and prunes
Storage Tips for Maximum Shelf Life
Like most dried fruit, golden berries have a long shelf life if stored properly. Expect them to stay fresh for around 12 months in the cupboard, and up to 24 months in the refrigerator. Make sure they are in an air tight container or resealable foil package.
How to Enjoy
Many people enjoy golden berries on their own, but they also offer a great nutrient boost when combined with other foods.
Here are a few ideas:
- Sprinkle on top of desserts, breakfast cereals, yogurt etc.
- Mix with other nuts and seeds to create a tasty tropical trail mix
- Use them as a substitute for raisins or cranberries in breads, cookies, muffins or other baked goods.
- Add a handful to your morning smoothie
- Cover dried berries with dark chocolate
- Add to salads
Golden Berry Recipes
|Ingredients||Certified organic dried golden berries|
|Allergens||Packaged in the same facility as milk, peanuts, tree nuts.|
|Country of Origin||South America|