Raw, certified organic Canadian hemp hearts (shelled hemp seeds). These little morsels are absolutely loaded with goodness, and taste amazing!
Without a doubt, hemp hearts are one of mother natures most concentrated and best plant sources of a number of nutrients, including protein, essential fats, and antioxidants just to name a few.
Here is a look at some of the many nutritional benefits of hulled hemp seeds:
- Contain all 9 essential amino acids (20 in total)
- More essential fatty acids per serving than fatty fish
- 10 grams of protein per 30 gram serving
- Ideal 3:1 ration of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids
- Contain powerful phytonutrients that help fight free radical damage
- Good source of vitamin E
- Loaded with manganese (110% of RDA), magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and B-complex vitamins.
- Naturally gluten-free
Hemp hearts contains the following nutrients (% Daily Value) per 30 gram serving:
Iron : 20%
They also contain 170 calories, composed of 3 grams of carbohydrates, 10 grams of protein, 13 grams of fat, and 3 grams of fiber.
Needless to say, hemp hearts are beneficial to our health in numerous ways based on their diverse nutritional profile.
Here is a list of some of the potential health benefits they have to offer according to recent scientific studies:
- Anti-inflammatory benefits (omega-3's)
- Cardiovascular benefits (omega-3's)
- May improve digestion and promote colon health (fiber)
- Help combat oxidative damage caused by free radicals (phytonutrients)
- Increased immune system strength (phytonutrients)
- Helps regulate blood sugar (fiber, protein)
In order to take advantage of the many health benefits associated with hemps seeds, try to consume 3-4 tablespoons daily.
Interesting Facts About Hemp Seeds
- Hemp has been prohibited from cultivation in the USA since 1950
- Canada, France, and China are the largest producers of hemp seeds
- Hemp can be used to make paper, textiles, plastic, and fuel
Storage Tips for Maximum Shelf Life
Hulled hemp hearts contain a vitamin E, which helps naturally protect them from going rancid. They will last for up to 24 months in the freezer, 14 months in the refrigerator, and up to 6 months in the pantry in a sealed container.
How to Enjoy
Hemp hearts provide plenty of nutritional benefits when consumed on their own, but there are plenty of other ways to enjoy them. Here are a few ideas:
- Add to soup, salad, or vegetable dishes
- Sprinkle on to cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt
- Add to baked goods or desserts
- Add to smoothies or protein shakes
- Spread on to toast with nut butter
- Sprinkle in sandwiches or wraps
Hemp Seed Recipes
|Ingredients||Certified organic hemp hearts|
|Allergens||Tree nuts, packaged in the same facility as peanuts, milk, sesame, soy.|
|Country of Origin||Canada|