Did you know that most commercial toothpastes contain harmful chemicals that can have a
negative impact on your health? Sodium fluoride, sodium lauryl sulfate, blue No. 1, sodium carbonate, and sodium saccharin are just a handful of the harmful ingredients found in most brands of toothpaste. These chemicals are easily absorbed through the mucous lining of our mouth, and can wreak havoc on our bodies over the long term.
Fortunately, making your own toothpaste from natural ingredients couldn’t be easier. In fact, you may already have all of the ingredients in your home! Your homemade toothpaste will be as effective as commercial brands, will taste great, yet will contain no harmful chemicals. Just healthy, natural ingredients that are great
for your body.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Coconut oil – In addition to adding flavor and texture, coconut oil helps combat potentially harmful bacteria in your mouth. This is the same harmful bacteria responsible for tooth decay.
- Baking soda – Helps whiten and remove stains on your teeth, neutralizes acids, helps remove plaque, and freshens your breath.
- Xilitol – Naturally sweetens, and helps restore a proper alkaline / acid level in the mouth. Unlike sugar, xilitol is good for your teeth.
- Essential oils – Help add a fresh flavor. Whether you prefer orange, cinnamon, peppermint, or spearmint, it all comes down to personal preference.
Now, let’s take a step-by-step look at at the process…
Coconut Oil / Baking Soda Based Natural Toothpaste
– The coconut oil and baking soda will act as the base
of your toothpaste, and should be blended thoroughly together in a 50/50 ratio. If
the coconut oil is cold, warming it will make it more pliable and easier to mix.
– Add 1-2 teaspoons of xilitol to every 12 tablespoons of base. The more you add, the sweeter the mixture! Make sure the xilotol is a fine powder. You
may have to crush it, or add it to a blender to get it to the correct consistency. Stevia powder is an alternative if xilitol isn’t available, however, it doesn’t have the same oral health benefits as xilitol
– Now it’s time to add the essential oil(s) to your concoction. The oils you choose are entirely up to you. Our favorites are orange, cinnamon, peppermint, or
spearmint. Add 20-25 drops of essential oils for every 12 tablespoons of base. Experiment with different oils and mixtures of oils until you come up with a recipe that you are happy with.
– Mix all ingredients thoroughly together
Here is what a typical batch of toothpaste looks like:
6 tbsp coconut oil
6 tbsp baking soda
20-25 drops of essential oils (we used spearmint)
1-2 tsp xilitol
And that’s it! You’ve got an easy-to-make, natural, chemical-free toothpaste that does not
require refrigeration. Since it’s in a jar, you’ll have to use a wood stick or small spoon to get the paste on to your brush.
Clay Based Natural Toothpaste
Those of you looking to get a little more daring might want to consider making your own bentonite clay based toothpaste
that uses the following ingredients:
1/4 cup Bentonite Clay
3/8 cup boiling water
1/4 tsp. Real Salt
5-25 drops Stevia
10-12 drops Peppermint essential oil
4-6 drops Tea Tree essential oil
Checkout this video of what’s involved…
Do you have a natural toothpaste recipe that you’d like to share with us? Please leave a comment below!